How Your Small Business Can Do Better by Marketing
In this blog post, learn how marketing can help your small business improve its sales and profit results in Kenya.
Is perception better than reality? The way your brand is perceived by customers and potential clients determines your profitability. This is where marketing comes in. Through strategic marketing efforts, you can shape how customers view you. Ultimately, you can attract more buyers and increase sales.
Here are the four benefits your small business can achieve through proper marketing
Building Brand Perception
Brand perception refers to the way that customers view and feel about a brand. It is crucial for businesses to prioritize building a positive brand perception, as it can significantly impact their success. Marketing plays a key role in shaping brand perception, and businesses can use a variety of strategies to improve it, including:
- Branding; Create and maintain a consistent brand image across all your marketing channels. In this way, your small businesses can establish a clear identity and make it easier for customers to recognize and remember you.
- Value proposition: Highlight your unique selling points. Emphasize what sets you apart from your competitors.
- Marketing Psychology: Use storytelling, emotional appeals, and storytelling that resonate with customers. Deep emotions can change buyers’ behavior towards your brand converting them to loyal customers.
- Leveraging social proof: Showcase positive reviews, testimonials, and endorsements from satisfied customers and industry experts. It will build credibility among existing clients and establish trust with potential buyers.
The above marketing strategies can improve your brand perception and attract more customers. Some businesses using this strategy include; Nike’s “Just Do It” campaign, Coca-Cola’s “Share a Coke” campaign, and Apple’s consistent focus on design and innovation.
Attract More Customers
Effective marketing can help your small businesses attract and retain new customers. To do so, you can employ the following simple marketing strategies;
- Market research; Talk to your present and potential customers about their needs, preferences, and challenges. Use their feedback, and information to create targeted and effective marketing campaigns.
- Digital Marketing: Invest in user-friendly and mobile-responsive websites, engaging social pages, and SEO-optimised content to increase your online visibility and conversion rates.
- Product differentiation; Focus on promoting your goods or services benefits. It is the value or features that can solve your customers’ problems that set you apart from other sellers.
- Customer service: Provide timely and personalized support and after-sales services.
By employing the above marketing strategies, your small businesses can attract and retain loyal customers. It will lead to long-term success and growth. Some examples of businesses using this method are;
- Amazon, the online seller gives personalized recommendations and fast shipping to its online buyers.
- Zappos is known for its exceptional customer service and hassle-free returns policy.
Increase sales Revenue
Well-crafted marketing strategies can help your small business to increase its sales. Some popular tactics for doing this are creating a sense of urgency, providing incentives, and utilizing upselling and cross-selling techniques. Here are how you can use marketing to sell more in Kenya.
- Calls-to-action (CTAs); use effective CTAs that are clear and concise in your messaging. It should prompt buyers to take immediate action now. Examples of effective CTAs are;
- limited-time offers!
- Free trials.
- Promotions and discounts: Offering a discount or a special promotion can incentivize customers to make a purchase they may have otherwise passed up.
- Scarcity and urgency tactics: Limited-time offers or low stock warnings can create a sense of urgency and push buyers towards making a purchase.
- Upselling and cross-selling: Include product recommendations or bundling products together at a discounted price.
Several businesses have successfully used marketing to boost their sales. For example, Amazon uses upselling and cross-selling techniques. It will recommend related products to customers during the checkout process. Similarly, clothing retailer H&M uses limited-time offers and promotions that create a sense of urgency.
Attract & Retain Top Talent
Marketing will shape your company’s employer brand and perception in the job market. By using various marketing strategies, your small businesses can attract and retain top talent. Some marketing tactics for finding the best employees are;
- Company culture and values: Highlight your company’s core values and culture such as gender empowerment in all your brand materials. You will attract like-minded individuals who uphold similar values.
- Competitive compensation and benefits: Highlight your salary and benefits offers in job ads. It will help your candidates to decide on accepting a job offer with you. It can also differentiate you from your competitors.
- Employer branding: An employer brand is the perception of a company as a great place to work. Using employee testimonials and company culture videos, you can attract top talent seeking more than just a job.
Several top businesses use marketing to attract top talent. An example is Google. It uses its company culture and employee perks to attract top talent from around the world.
As shown above, marketing can build your brand, attract customers, boost sales, and attract top talent. As a small business in Kenya, you can use these marketing tips for sustainable growth and success in today’s competitive marketplace.