Are you wondering if you can make money online in Kenya? This post will give you the top methods you can make money on the internet.
How does one make money online? As you will realize, making money online is very similar to how you earn some income traditionally. To create some income will have to work for wages or earn profits, interest or rental income as outlined below (related to the 4 factors of production).
- Employment/ Labor income; Salary, wages, commission or consulting fees as a compensation for working or using your skills.
- Profits: By being an investor/entrepreneur who provides goods and services at a higher selling price than its buying or production cost.
- Interest and dividends income by owning high value capital assets such as company stocks or government bonds
- Rental Income: as payment from lessors and tenants leasing or renting your land or real estate for their use.
As you will realize by end of this post, the top methods for making money online are similar to those ones above. The only difference is that you are doing it over the internet. In addition, you can use the internet to make money as a complimentary measure of marketing your offline business or service.
How can you make money online in Kenya?
The methods of making money online in Kenya can be classified into the following four major categories.
- Online working
- Online trading
- Make passive income online
We give a further explanation with examples for each class here below.
The best way to make money online in Kenya is online working. There are 2 ways you can do this. The simple one is free lancing while the other is remote working from home.
Self-employment. Use the internet and social media sites such as linked in and Facebook to showcase your capabilities thus attracting potential employers and clients to your offline business or online own business.
An example is a lawyer, copywriter or an electrician advertising her services online. People can see her past experiences and case studies thus visiting her office or offering her job online.
Working from home
Remote working from home. This second method involves you taking a short term, consulting or a permanent job position with a remote employer. You will use internet teleconferencing and other collaborative media, tools and software to deliver on your work.
9 best ways of working online in Kenya in 2022
Remote working from home is the easiest way to earn income as a young student or a stay-at-home mom. Wondering how to make money working online? According to reports, the following list has the best online jobs in Kenya in 2020 that you can start with least investment from the comfort of your home.
- Online tutoring- Assist kids in elementary school and high school as well as students in college to pass their courses easily by teaching them what you know
- Freelance writing- Fill in the huge need of writing top quality content for various audiences. The easy writing jobs you can find online in Kenya are;
- Copywriting- write blog, product reviews, content marketing and other website articles as a ghostwriter
- Academic writing- offer your academic research and reporting skills for reviewing and drafting high quality PHD, Masters and undergraduate papers and thesis papers and essays for a small fee.
- Technical Writing- Help your clients get it write by offering them services in business plan writing, grant and proposal writing, Affidavits and other forms of quality writing.
- Resume writing- Help job seekers to brand themselves and market themselves to large companies and recruiters by writing high quality curriculum vitae (Cvs), resumes and cover letters. In addition, offer services in writing professional profiles on Linked in & other job boards.
- Proofreading- Find high paying gigs by ensuring blog posts, screenplays and student essays are free or grammatical and structural errors.
- Transcription-Are you fast at typing accurately and attentive to details? You can make money while you Listen to audio recordings and video conversations and type them down.
- Web designing- The world is going digital. Almost every business and individual is looking for an online presence. You can tap into this area by designing high quality websites and online stores. You will need to be good in design tools, programming languages, visual strategy, or CMS (customer management systems) like WordPress.
- Data Entry-It’s the easiest online job you can take if you have the basic computer skills and looking for a valuable side hustle. You will be inputting alpha numerical data from handwritten documents, pictures and pdf files into computer systems or online forms. On the downside, data entry jobs pay low and takes a lot of your time
- Virtual Assistant (VA)- Become a remote personal or administrative assistant helping your clients miles away scheduling appointments, bookkeeping, data entry, customer services, internet research and email management. To succeed in VA, you need to be highly organized and attentive to details.
- Graphic design- It’s a known fact that visual concepts and infographics has a better engagement rate than text content. You can work online to create visually appealing online advertisements, brochures, magazines or corporate reports. This job is a fit for you if you a creative, artistic, original and a problem solver.
- Social media marketing- Help your clients to reach and engage better with their existing and potential clients by becoming a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Tiktok influencer. As an influencer you will need to have a big clout or online following, skills to create viral and entertaining content and highly knowledgeable on products and services.
- Online marketing-help companies and individuals to conquer the digital competition and reach out to a wider audience. You will help them in Search engine optimization (SEO), Adwords, email marketing and other online advertising.
As the name suggests, online trading or ecommerce involves the buying and selling of goods and services over the internet. Besides, it involves the transfer of money and data to complete such transactions. As a beginner looking to make money online, there are various areas for you to explore.
Online selling involves you setting up a B2C, B2B, D2C, C2C or a C2b ecommerce site. You can then source and sell your products to your customers at a profit. Its one of the fastest growing way of making money online. The top ways you can make money without huge investments are;
- Dropshipping- Set up a shopify website and sell products that are manufactured (from China) and shipped to consumers (anywhere in the world) via third parties such as parcel deliveries (DHL)
- Online Retail- Sell your products directly to consumers without an intermediary. You can promote products on your ecommerce site or social media then do home deliveries.
- Online Wholesale- Sell your products in bulk. Wholesale products are usually sold to a retailer such as Amazon, Alibaba, Jumia, Skygarden or Killmall who then sells the products to final consumers.
Marketing Digital Products
make and sell downloadable items such as templates, online courses, ebooks, software and media. To make money, make sure the user cannot access or use it without first paying for it. Some of the easiest ways for you to start are;
- Kindle- make high quality eBooks and sell via amazon Kindle
- Sell your premium photographs via Shutterstock and other sites.
- Make music and videos that people pay to download, listen or watch
Use the internet to buy and sell financial assets such as company stocks and currencies. The most popular online trading platforms in kenya are the forex trading and the cryprocurrency trading.
- Forex trading- you will speculate and trade in different currency pairs to profit from the difference in the currency pair’s value caused by market movements. Its one of the most rapid growing methods for making money online in Kenya. To note, it’s a highly risky business and you will need to understand global financial trends, analyze currency pairs easily and make fast investment decisions.
- Cryptocurrency trading- You will speculate in the value or the movements of a chosen cryptocurrency such as the Bitcoin, Ether, Litecoin or the EOS. If your guess is right whether you predicted price rises or falls. You then earn profits. You will then need to exchange the earned coins into traditional currency such as dollar or Ksh.
Make passive income online
Are you looking to make passive income online? To earn passive income, you will need to put a lot of effort into it at the beginning and then relaxing as money hits your account.
The major ways you can make passive income online is through content creation. It can be you working on data, blogs, music, YouTube videos or eBooks etc. Such online assets have been termed as the new gold.
How do you earn passive income online?
You can earn income from them online on 3 business models; Subscriptions, Advertising and finally affiliate marketing.
- Subscription- Charge people recurring subscription and/or registration fees to access premium content from your website or blog.
- Advertising fees- Rent out your blog or You Tube Channel to Google and other online advertising platforms to place online ads. You will earn for views and clicks as people.
- Affiliate marketing- Earn money by redirecting online traffic to other people sites. As they click, register, buy or download materials from them, you will earn some a proportion of the money they spend.
Easiest ways of making passive income online in Kenya
In order to make passive income online. We suggest you consider investing in following methods.
Are you a storyteller or have a witty way with your words? You can start an informative, entertaining blog with viral content. Then you can monetize it to earn subsection, affiliate marketing or AdSense income.
Are you good at creating and editing viral videos consistently. You can make money by having a monetized You Tube channel. You will need to have a huge number of subscribers and a high number of video views, likes and shares.
Have a consistent podcast that explores topics that matter to your people. It can be on anything such as mental health, financial freedom or success in marriages. Once you have gained a considerable following, you can earn income by public relations (PR) where you make referrals and reviews for products and services during your podcast. Big brands will also pay to brand or appear in your podcast.
Social media influencer
Do you have a huge number of followers on your social media platforms? Consider making money by promoting your client products on your walls and timelines. You can market anything for pay such as books, clothes, shoes handbags office chairs etc. Besides, you can write well researched and unbiased reviews to the thousands of your followers for pay.
The Post is a list of the best ways you can make money online in Kenya. They include working online, online trading and earning passive income. In the post we give you the best methods you can start with the minimal resources such as stable internet and a smart phone. They include data entry, academic writing and blogging. While the list is not exhaustive, our next posts will explore each of these methods in detail.